These awards are aimed to support trainees in basic, clinical or translational research in transplantation or mechanical circulatory support in a mentored environment.
ISHLT issues one annually in the amount of $40,000. The funding period is for one year.
DATE AVAILABLE: September 1, 2018
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: January 14, 2019 at 11:59 PM CST (Chicago)
- The applicant and the applicant's department head/division chief/research project director must be members of the ISHLT in good standing at the time of application and throughout the period of funding.
- The applicant must be in a clinical or post-doctoral training program and not yet have attained Board certification/accreditation/faculty level appointment (Assistant Professor equivalent or above)/salaried senior staff position (or equivalent) during the period of the award.
FUNDING STIPULATIONS/AWARD POLICIES
- Research must begin between April 1 and December 31 of the award year.
- The results of funded research must be submitted in one of the following formats, preferably both, within three years of the initial date of funding:
- as a manuscript to the Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation
- as an abstract for the ISHLT Annual meeting and Scientific Sessions
- The results of funded research cannot have been previously published or presented prior to publication in the Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation or presentation at the ISHLT Annual Meeting.
- Funding will be awarded in two portions. 50% of the funding will be provided initially, with the remaining 50% provided upon submission of a progress report to the Awards Committee 6 months after the date of initial funding. The second installment of funding will not be made if the research is no longer being conducted at the original institution.
- The awards recipient's institution agrees that the funds will be expended for the purpose(s) described in the application, that there is no duplicate funding for these purposes, and that no portion of the award shall be used to pay for indirect costs or institutional overhead. ISHLT funds may not be used for the purchase of capital equipment.
- The award recipient's institution agrees to return any unused funds to the ISHLT.
- ISHLT must be acknowledged as a funding source in all manuscripts and presentations derived from the funded research via the following statement: "This work was supported by a research award from the International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation." Copies of these publications must be submitted to the ISHLT Headquarters office within 1 month of publication/presentation.
- The award recipient or his/her research project director must be present at the Awards Session at the ISHLT Annual Meeting to receive acknowledgment of the award.
GUIDELINES FOR JUDGING SCIENTIFIC MERIT AND FUNDABILITY OF APPLICATIONS
The scientific merit and fundability of all submitted research proposals will be judged by at least 2 members of the ISHLT Grants and Awards Committee. Outside experts may also be consulted. The Committee Chair will select the members to participate in the review process. All judges will independently review each research proposal according to established guidelines. A written report will be completed for each proposal. All reports will be sent to the Committee Chair. The Chair will organize a meeting or conference call to review the proposals and select the proposal(s) for funding. Applicants will not receive written feedback about their proposals, nor will proposals be returned to applicants. Depending upon the scope of applications received, funding may be awarded to a single application, or the funds may be allocated to two or more smaller, independent projects.