Transplant Registry Early Career Award
Below are links to Excel spreadsheet files containing information regarding the data elements being collected by the ISHLT Registry.APPLICATION:
QUESTIONS Contact Megan Barrett at 972-490-9495 or email@example.com.PURPOSE:
The Transplant Registry Early Career awards support data analysis of the ISHLT Thoracic Transplant Registry by a junior scientist in transplantation, conducted under mentorship of a senior ISHLT member and a member of the steering committee of the ISHLT Registry.AWARD AMOUNT
ISHLT issues up to five Transplant Registry Early Career Awards annually. Each award is in the amount of $7,5000.ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS:
FUNDING STIPULATIONS/AWARD POLICIES:
- The applicant or the applicant's research project mentor must be a member of the ISHLT in good standing at the time of application and throughout the period of funding
- The applicant must be in a fellowship or have a junior faculty level (Instructor or Assistant Professor equivalent) appointment at the time of application.
- The award recipient's institution must agree that the funds will be expended for the purpose of statistical support of the project described in the application, that there is no duplicate funding for these purposes, and that no portion of the award will be used to pay for indirect costs, institutional overhead, or equipment
- The initial data set will be provided to the award recipient by the ISHLT Registry biostatistician in accordance with the final specifications in the approved application. Changes to the dataset specifications after the application has been approved may incur an additional cost. Such costs are to be borne by the grant recipient.
- The award funds should be expended on statistical support necessary for project completion. The award recipient may utilize the biostatistician of his/her choice, including the ISHLT Registry biostatistician at UNOS. If the latter option is chosen, a contract will be signed between UNOS and the recipient / recipient’s institution for such work, and the $7,500, which will cover 50 hours of UNOS biostatistical time, will be paid to UNOS directly by ISHLT. The costs for any additional time required for the project will be the responsibility of the award recipient.
- In addition to the grant funding, ISHLT will provide up to 10 hours of biostatistical consulting support to provide the requested data elements, answer questions about the ISHLT data, and review the results of statistical analyses performed by the awardee and intended for presentation or publication.
- Analyses must begin no earlier than March 1 and must be completed no later than December 31 of the award year. Work required by the UNOS biostatistician that falls outside these dates may entail a cost to the award recipient.
- At least one ISHLT Registry Associate Medical Director will be assigned to oversee the successful completion of the project and review the resulting abstract/manuscript prior to submission.
- The results of funded research must be submitted in one of the following formats, preferably both, within 24 months of the initial date of funding:
• as a manuscript to the Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation
• as an abstract for the ISHLT Annual Meeting and Scientific Sessions
- The results of ISHLT funded research cannot be previously published or presented elsewhere prior to publication in the Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation or presentation at the ISHLT Annual Meeting.
- Initial drafts of all abstracts and/or manuscripts related to the project must be submitted to Megan Barrett at the ISHLT office at least 6 weeks prior to the abstract/manuscript submission deadline for review and feedback by the ISHLT Registry biostatistician and the assigned Registry Associate Medical Director. Final drafts of all abstracts and/or manuscripts related to the project must be submitted to Megan Barrett at the ISHLT office at least 3 weeks prior to the abstract/manuscript submission deadline for review and approval by the ISHLT Registry biostatistician and the assigned Registry Associate Medical Director.
- ISHLT must be acknowledged as a funding source in all manuscripts and presentations derived from the funded research via the following statement, "This work was supported by a research award from the International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation." Copies of these publications must be submitted to the ISHLT Headquarters office within 1 month of publication/presentation.
- The award recipient or his/her research project mentor are expected to be present at the Awards Presentation at the ISHLT Annual Meeting to receive acknowledgment of the award.