Norman E. Shumway Career Development Award
Joel D. Cooper Career Development Award
ISHLT issues one and one every year. Each award is in the amount of . The funding period is for two years ($80,000 per year). APPLICATION:
If you have any questions about the application process, please contact Megan Barrett at 972-490-9495 or firstname.lastname@example.org
The Norman E Shumway and Joel D Cooper Career Development awards are aimed to support the rising stars of basic, clinical or translational research at a critical time in their independent research career. The awardees will have already established a track record in the field of heart or lung transplantation, the failing heart or lungs or mechanical circulatory support and will aim to further develop their career in one of these areas.ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS:
FUNDING STIPULATIONS/AWARD POLICIES:
- The applicant and the applicant's sponsor/chief must be members of the ISHLT in good standing at the time of application and throughout the period of funding.
- The applicant must have completed post-graduate training (post doctoral training for scientists or post Board certification/accreditation/staff appointment for clinicians). The applicant must have completed such training no more than 3 years prior to the date of application and must hold a full time faculty position.
- The applicant must have an academic appointment at a University or other accredited institution of higher learning.
- The applicant must not have already received extramural (external) funding of no more than 40,000 dollars or equivalent for the same period from any other granting agency. Simultaneous internal funding for the recipient's institution/department is permitted if it is not for the same or closely related research.
- Research must begin between April 1 and December 31 of the award year.
- The results of funded research must be submitted in one of the following formats within three years of the initial date of funding:
• as a manuscript to the Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation
• as an abstract for the ISHLT Annual Meeting and Scientific Sessions
• as a report for publication in the Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation
- The results of funded research cannot have been previously published or presented prior to publication in the Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation or presentation at the ISHLT Annual Meeting and Scientific Sessions.
- ISHLT must be acknowledged as a funding source in all manuscripts and presentations derived from the funded research via the following statement: "This work was supported by a Career Development Award from the International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation." Copies of these publications must be submitted to the ISHLT Headquarters office.
- Funding will be awarded in four portions. 25% of the funding will be disbursed initially, with the remaining balance disbursed in 25% increments upon submission of a progress report to the Awards Committee every 6 months after the date of initial funding. Continuing installments of funding will not be made if the research is no longer being conducted at the original institution.
- The award recipient's institution agrees that the funds will be used to cover expenses for the purpose(s) described in the application, that there is not duplicate funding for these purposes, and that no portion of the award will be used to pay for indirect costs or institutional overhead. ISHLT funds may not be used for the purchase of capital equipment.
- The award recipient must be present at the Awards Session of the Annual Meeting to receive acknowledgment of the award.
- The award recipient is expected to attend the annual ISHLT Scientific meeting during the award period.