ISHLT/Bayer Pulmonary Hypertension Research Grant Award
The is awarded every other year in the amount of $100,000.APPLICATION:
If you have any questions about the application process, please contact Phyllis Glenn at 972-490-9495 or email@example.com
The purpose of the Award is to further the scientific understanding of Pulmonary Hypertension, with the ultimate aim of improving patient's lives. The Award is designed to support young scientists, doing research in Pulmonary Hypertension at a critical time in their independent research careers.
The goal of the study must be to investigate a relevant clinical or translational science question in PH, irrespective of the PH subtype.
FUNDING STIPULATIONS / AWARD POLICIES:
- The applicant must have completed post-graduate training (post doctoral training for scientists or post Board certification/accreditation/staff appointment for clinicians).
- The applicant will demonstrate evidence of pursued interest in the field of the failing heart or lungs and will aim to further develop their career in the area of pulmonary hypertension.
- The applicant must have completed such training no more than 5 years prior to the date of application.
- The applicant must have a full-time faculty appointment at a University or other accredited institution of higher learning.
- The applicant must not have already received extramural (external) funding >$40,000 for the same period from any other granting agency. Simultaneous internal funding for the recipient's institution/department is permitted if it is not for the same or closely related research.
- The study must be able to be completed within 2 years.
- Research must begin between April 1 and December 31 of the award year.
- The results of funded research must be submitted in one of the following formats within one year of the final year of the project:
- as a manuscript to the Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation
- as an abstract for the ISHLT Annual Meeting and Scientific Sessions
- as a report for publication in the Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation
- The results of funded research cannot have been previously published or presented prior to publication in the Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation or presentation at the ISHLT Annual Meeting and Scientific Sessions.
- ISHLT and Bayer must be acknowledged as a funding source in all manuscripts and presentations derived from the funded research via the following statement: "This work was supported by an ISHLT/Bayer Pulmonary Hypertension Research Grant Award from the International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation. This award was supported by a grant from Bayer."
- Copies of these publications must be submitted to the ISHLT Headquarters office within 1 month of publication.
- Funding will be awarded in four portions. 25% of the funding will be disbursed initially, with the remaining balance disbursed in 25% increments upon submission of a satisfactory progress report to the Awards Committee every 6 months after the date of initial funding. A final progress report and summary must be submitted to the ISHLT Grants and Awards Committee within 15 months of the initial disbursement.
- Continuing installments of funding will not be made if the research is no longer being conducted at the original institution.
- The proportion of time to be devoted to clinical work and research for each recipient of the Award should be determined by the recipient's Chair/Chief but not to exceed 50% devoted to research.
- Not more than 25% of the Award may be used for salary support. The remainder is to be used for supplies and performing the research project.
- The award recipient and the award recipient's institution agree that the funds will be used to cover expenses for the purpose(s) described in the application, that there is not duplicate funding for these purposes, and that no portion of the award will be used to pay for indirect costs, capital equipment purchases, or institutional overhead.
- The Award recipient must be a member of ISHLT in good standing throughout the duration of the funding period.
- The award recipient is expected to attend the annual ISHLT Scientific meeting during the award period.
- To maximize the effectiveness of the funding, the recipient will also be mentored by an international expert assigned by ISHLT who will provide invaluable experience and insights throughout the study.